03 5888 9555 admin@mrvi.com.au

Our Story

It all began in 1981 when the local population of Moulamein observed a need to provide local ageing pensioners with quality accommodation for an affordable rental. Totally funded with donations from the Moulamein Community, three brick terrace style bed-sit units were built. Thus was the beginning of Moulamein Retirement Village incorporated; the Council of the Shire of Wakool being a trustee.

Four years later, another three units were added; on this occasion each included a separate bedroom.

Through the passage of time, there became a need to provide Residential Aged Care for the increasing number of ageing residents unable to adequately care for themselves.

Once again, totally funded from the Moulamein Community, a five bed hostel was built. This proved to be unviable owing to the small number of residents. As the six brick units became vacant, each became part of the hostel thus increasing hostel residency to eleven.

Donations from two from prominent members of the Community who bequeathed their estates to Moulamein Retirement Village enabled the building of our all new aged care facility, Edward River Gardens.

 

Our Major Donors

Len & Gwen Flottmann

Len 1917 – 2013
Gwen 1912 – 1999

Mr. Len Flottmann and his wife Gwen whose generosity and remarkable community spirit will be lovingly remembered by those who were fortunate enough to have been acquainted. For those who were not, Flottmann House is a lasting monument to their lives and community service. Gwen, having predeceased Len by 14 Years, It was their wish for their entire estate to be used in ensuring their beloved town and its population would have a modern aged care facility for the future needs of the ageing folk of Moulamein and District. Len was a resident of the previous hostel building for almost 6 Years. He turned a sod to mark the beginning of this outstanding building.

Len’s generosity reflects an appreciation of his own good fortune, being the adopted son of Oliver and Florence Flottmann. Born is Rockdale, Sydney, his birth name was Lenin Ricketts Greatrex.

Len married Gwen Mathiske1912 – 1999 They had no surviving children and devoted their lives to the betterment of the Moulamein Community. Flottmann’s Cash Store was a landmark in Morago Street. Together Len and Gwen Flottmann contributed to many community projects including the initial establishment in 1981 and the ongoing development of the Moulamein Retirement Village. They contributed to its progression from three single bed units, to six, four years later and to a 5 bed hostel to provide a total of 11 Beds. A further 5 places as a secure unit have been added to the retirement complex. The present structure was initiated during Len’s lifetime, although he didn’t survive to see its completion he was able to turn a sod to mark the beginning. A quietly spoken person who always had a joke to share. A speech impediment was distinctive of his personality which acquaintances fondly imitated in reference. He was widely known as “Mr. Flotty”.

Len & Gwen Flottmann are interred in the Moulamein Lawn Cemetery, the creation of which was one of their community projects. Flottman Park is another reminder of their significant contribution to the township.

 

Patrick Roy Doran (1931 – 2009)

A huge man with a huge heart, whose generosity and love for the township of Moulamein and the people is demonstrated through his bequeath, to the further development of the Moulamein Retirement Village aged care facility

A Brief History

Patrick Roy Doran was born in Bendigo on 9th August 1931.  In the early thirties he moved to Moulamein with the family where he attended Moulamein Public School, leaving at age 14 years in 1945. He went to work at the Tattersalls Hotel as groomsman for 12 months. Moving on to Ron Lowe’s saw mill, until in 1948, aged 17 ½ years, he went contract falling redgum for the local mill until 1953 with Charlie Davis. The mill was destroyed by fire, and Lowe sold the business to Kevin Rahill and Joe Chambers. From 1953 he worked for Rahill and Chambers driving log trucks until 1955. Stumpy then left Moulamein and worked for “Central Constructions”, a bridge building company working out of Dubbo. Moulamein saw his return in 1956, buying into Jake Turnley’s Milk Bar and Vegie Shop. From 1957 – 1960, living in Melbourne, he drove trucks interstate for Kevin Lowe.  He then purchased his own truck and drove interstate for a time. He was contracted to Boral delivering bricks around Melbourne and Victoria. Stumpy never married although he and Julie, his partner of thirty years, were often seen out and about together, a very devoted couple, enjoying life.

In earlier days, his father away so much, Stumpy was the backbone of the family, making sure his younger siblings were “kept in line”. During these early years he played football with Moulamein. He was a keen tennis player and was instrumental in bringing in posts from out in the bush to fence the tennis courts. With his Boat “Thunder” he took great delight in teaching beginners to ski on water. Moulamein was never far from his thoughts and it was only in later years, with a badly injured leg and with deteriorating health, his trips to “home” became less frequent.  A very memorable person of the highest integrity.

Contact Us

All fields are required for successful submission.